Thursday, October 27, 2016

Meet Gannon's Mystery Man

Nike's latest marketing campaign is titled "Come out of Nowhere," a nod to LeBron James' iconic blocked shot in the NBA Finals where he, that's right, came out of nowhere to spark Cleveland to its first league crown. That phrase can also describe new Knight Jair Green, who wasn't on the school's original recruiting class announcement back on Aug. 29 but is now listed on the official roster.

Green, a 6-foot-4, 185-pound junior, is intriguing to me for several reasons, most notably that he's a rare transfer up from the Division III level. Green spent his first two seasons lighting up the scoreboard at Cabrini (Pa.) College, averaging 17.2 points, 6.1 rebounds, two assists, two steals, and 1.8 blocks in 34.9 minutes per game as a sophomore. I'm trying to think of the last Gannon transfer from the DIII ranks ... and I'm coming up blank.

Green also has perhaps the most artistic highlight tape I've ever seen. Check it out here -- it starts in black-and-white and then features a multitude of plays in rapid fire fashion shot from multiple angles. What probably made John Reilly happiest was the thundering rap music the inclusion of defensive stops, the best occurring at the 1:46 mark that I've conveniently cued up for you here. If I ever got rejected like that, I'd dive under the scorer's table for the rest of the night to hide my shame.

And maybe it was the frenetic video clips that made me hallucinate, but if I didn't know better I'd think this was a highlight tape for former Gannon great Gibran Smith. Watch Green's tape then this film on Smith, and I bet you a box of Audi popcorn you'll agree they're brothers from another mother -- similar body type, similar athleticism, plus the long sleeve on the right arm.

I'm not sure whether Green will be redshirted this season or not -- heck, I just noticed he was on the roster while eating a sandwich over lunch today -- but his official Gannon bio says "Green is expected to compete for playing time at guard or forward during his first season at Gannon in 2016-17."

Here's some more Gannon Hoops news you can use:
  • The 2016-17 PSAC preseason coaches poll was announced today, and the Knights are predicted to finish fourth in the West. Also, no GU players were named to the preseason all-PSAC team. As always, Division II preseason polls are strictly for entertainment purposes; to draw conclusions from them is ridiculous.
  • Oct. 31will include the traditional trick-or-treating for the kids, but the next night is a bigger treat for all of us. The annual Maroon and Gold event is slated for Nov. 1 at 6:30 PM at the Hammermill Center. It's not a scrimmage like it used to be (it's now a completely staged event), but it's still nice to sit in the plush seats and hear the sneakers squeaking.
  • As I write this, we're barely over two weeks away from the season's official tip-off when the Knights face Livingstone (N.C.) at the Glenville State (W.Va.) Tip-Off Classic. Keep in mind, though, that the world could end Nov. 8 if the United States elects the wrong person as President.

28 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fanman: I deleted your comment because I'm not going to let the comment section on this site turn into another ugly political bloodbath filled with ridiculous statements. Thanks for your understanding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's ok, I was just responding to your..... "Keep in mind, though, that the world could end Nov. 8 if the United States elects the wrong person as President."
      I thought it might be appropriate to add my comment. Sorry I was wrong

      Delete
  3. Steve Piotrowicz transferred from Behrend - that's one of the only other D3 transfers I can think of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that info. I'm so embarrassed I forgot about Steve being a DIII transer -- he's one of my all-time favorite Knights. I just think of him as a Gannon lifer, so him transferring never crossed my mind. Thanks again.

      Delete
  4. I agree. I didn't think of him at first and then looked at the roster from when he played.

    One of gannons finest transfers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I received a call from a Gannon fan Friday who said he heard Green would not be eligible to play until the conclusion of the first semester, which could be why he wasn't mentioned in the original 2016-17 recruiting class. Again, this is just a rumor but I wanted to pass it along.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The final score of the Clarion at Kentucky exhibition game Sunday was 108-51. If I have to tell you who won, you're on the wrong website.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope they got a big check for making the trip. Expect the same in the next few days when IUP plays Syracuse and Villanova, and, I believe their women play UConn and Pitt. Other than a paycheck, neither team gets much out of these games.

      Delete
    2. I would have to respectfully disagree. IUP is typically a strong D2 power... if they are that way this year, playing a typically strong D1 Syracuse as well as the national champions Villanova can do a lot for them. Playing against D1 talent can help you learn where your real strengths are. If you have a guy that goes toe-to-toe with players in a D1 matchup (and not in garbage time), you can learn a lot about that player that you may not have noticed before. This can build individual confidence, a coach's confidence in players as well as a team's confidence. Even if they lost 112-58, they scored 58 points! Now if they lost 112-28... then, yes, nothing to take away from that game besides the fact you played a really good team (or possibly that your team is not as good as you thought).

      Even though the scores show otherwise, I believe players/coaches/teams can gain a lot from playing D1 teams.

      Delete
  7. It's unfortunate that your blog had to turn political. Although I'm not a regular contributor, I am a regular reader. I've lost respect for the site, and will likely not return. Stick to the basketball.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear that, Gannon Grad. I said this in January and I stand by it today: I lost all respect for Mr. Trump when he said POW John McCain was not a war hero and "I like people that weren't captured." All American POWs are heroes for what they and their families sacrificed for us. Sorry to get political, but I won't stay silent when folks are unfairly attacked, especially POWs.

      Delete
    2. I don't see how this became a political blog... it was one comment.. and it was Jim's personal opinion. He didn't say "if I find out you vote for Trump, you will be banned from this blog" - that'd be making it political. He used his personal opinion in making a statement to relate to the Basketball statement he made.

      Bye, gannon grad... you'll be mis... wait, no, no one is going to care if someone who is "not a regular contributor", but "a regular reader" quits reading the blog. I don't see Jim being offended by it or losing sleep and I don't think anyone else will.

      Lighten up people...part of being a "writer" is making comparisons, using personal opinions, adding humor, etc. Jim saying "electing the wrong person as president" with reference to Donald Trump was his personal opinion and I did not find it offensive at all. To me, it was overshadowed by my laughing at the way he used it.

      Delete
  8. I believe it was Sgt. Hulka who said, "Lighten up, Francis." Green sure does look like Smith's twin. Couple other new players have impressive highlight reels out there. Hope that translates into Hammermill highlights. It could happen. Somebody must know something to predict a 7-19 team that lost its best players is now fourth in the PSAC West.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Former GLIAC foe Wayne State (Mich.) knocked off University of Detroit, 85-79, in an exhibition game. It was the first game for new UD coach Bacardi Alexander. Oops.

    http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/2016/10/30/wayne-state-warriors-detroit-mercy-titans-basketball/92992974/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Any comments on the event from last night? I was in Cleveland and was unable to attend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was glued to my tablet watching game 6. Not even a regular Gannon game would have drawn me away from watching the Tribe. Despite their loss, what an amazing series!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I received this email from a Gannon fan yesterday:

    “Good afternoon Jim.....attended Gannon men's basketball practice Friday....Sean Flannery was present.....attended yesterday's (Monday) practice session & the annual night of men's & ladies introductions (scrimmages), and #4 was not present for either. Was told by a person present, that Sean Flannery left the team, left campus, and returned home to Cleveland. No reason given. Thought he might have been an excellent future guard combination with freshman, Jimmy Berger from St. Ignatius. "Thank You" for any updates............”

    I saw Flannery had been deleted from the roster and his bio was no longer online, so I checked with Gannon SID Dan Teliski and this was his reply:

    “Sean was a walk-on who recently decided to go back home to Cleveland after the first semester ends.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad to see, but as a walk-on he's busting his butt and paying his way through school... that's a lot! And as we all know, Gannon's coaching staff is demanding of their players in terms of what they expect out of each player. Also, Gannon appears to have a shipload of guards (and point guards) so he may have felt he wasn't going to see much time, or they wanted him to red shirt, etc. Wish him well and hope he decides to stick with basketball at another program!

      Delete
  13. Hard to believe a week from tomorrow we will be listening to Gannon Hoops !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What's up with Sean Flannery? The Verbal Commits website earlier this year listed Flannery as a scholarship recruit. On 4-22-16 the St. Edwards Basketball page (Flannery's high school) announced that Flannery accepted a scholarship to play at Gannon. Flannery remarked in the article that he was leaning toward attending John Carroll but Reilly came on strong and convinced him to go to Gannon. The story says Mercyhurst was also recruiting Flannery. Here's what Flannery himself said in the article:

    “I believe Division II is a great opportunity,” Flannery said. “Obviously, everyone should strive to go and play at the highest level at D-1, but some players just aren’t as gifted as others and I believe D-II is a great place for people of that nature. I know that I am just happy that I have been given the opportunity to play basketball at a very high level and have been rewarded for my time at St. Ed’s by being given a scholarship for my ability.”

    So how did we get from that to Dan Telski's statement: “Sean was a walk-on who recently decided to go back home to Cleveland after the first semester ends.”

    I really want to know.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if that's where Jair Greens scholarship came from ????

      Delete
    2. The VC site I don't trust as they had Gadson and Bailey listed as scholarship players - neither were. However, gogannongo has a good point about the statement made by Flannery and then by Teliski.

      Only things I am coming up with... he had academic scholarships to cover and was recruited for basketball thus being a walk-on with no athletic scholarship (i.e. - Adam Blazek - started as a freshman with no athletic scholarship). That's the only scenario I can come up with however and Beerman's point is good. One kid is leaving end of semester and another cannot play until after the semester.

      Delete
  15. Mansfield shocked Duquesne today, 79-74, in an exhibition game.

    http://gomounties.com//news/2016/11/5/mens-basketball-mansfield-stuns-division-i-duquesne-79-74.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  16. And Jerry Slocum's Youngstown State club hammered Behrend today, 100-61. Fairview grad Andy Niland led all scorers with 28 on 8 threes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glenville State Tip-Off Classic Cancelled; Gannon Men's Basketball Opener Pushed Back to November 19 at WCU

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like video is available for that game !!!

    ReplyDelete