I'll use this post and the comments section to keep an eye on Gannon's possible NCAA bid. Here are the Atlantic Region rankings with up-to-date results listed by team (current overall record, region record) followed by some snap analysis. The records include this week's games.
1. West Liberty (24-3, 23-3): W vs. Notre Dame Oh., W vs. #6 Fairmont, L vs. #4 Charleston
2. East Stroudsburg (27-1, 27-1): W vs. Millersville, W vs. Mercyhurst, W vs. West Chester
3. Indiana Pa. (23-4, 23-4): L vs. Mercyhurst
4. Charleston W.V. (21-8, 21-8): W vs. Wheeling Jesuit, W vs. #8 Glenville, W vs. #1 West Liberty
5. Gannon (19-9, 19-9): W vs. Slippery Rock, L vs. West Chester
6. Fairmont State (18-10, 18-10): W vs. #9 West Va. Wesleyan, L vs. #1 West Liberty
7. Shepherd (20-10, 20-10): W vs. Concord, L vs. #8 Glenville State
8. Glenville State (18-10, 18-10): W vs. #7 Shepherd, L vs. #4 Charleston
9. West Virginia Wesleyan (18-12, 18-12): W vs. Urbana, L vs. #6 Fairmont
10. Livingstone (19-7, 19-6): CIAA tournament champions
Dropped out: West Chester (20-9, 20-9): W vs. Bloomsburg, W vs. Gannon, L vs. #2 Stroud
Except for the loss to West Chester, things worked out in Gannon's favor today. The higher seeds -- West Liberty, Stroud, and Charleston -- all won their games. So that meant all the teams behind Gannon in the rankings -- #6 Fairmont, #8 Glenville, and surging Mercyhurst -- added a loss to their chart.
So here's how I think the field now looks --
LOCKS (5): West Liberty, East Stroudsburg, IUP, Charleston, Livingstone (CIAA champ)
VERY LIKELY IN (2): Gannon, Fairmont
FIGHTING FOR THE FINAL SPOT (3): Glenville, West Chester, Shepherd
GONZO WITH BONZO AND ALONZO (2): West Va. Wesleyan, Mercyhurst
That's my opinion. The official verdict will be handed down Sunday at 10:30 PM via a live video presentation of the NCAA Division II Selection Show. I'm not sure who the committee will take between Glenville and Shepherd if Stroud beats West Chester in the PSAC finals. GSC took the season series 2-1 but they had more bad losses (WV State, Concord, WV Wesleyan) than did Shepherd (Notre Dame Oh., WV Wesleyan)
I strongly believe Gannon will make the field, and I'm hoping they're the #5 seed ... that's if IUP is the #3 seed and West Liberty is #1. I don't want GU to play Indiana in the first round; playing a league opponent to open the NCAAs is lame. And I'd love for Gannon to have shot at West Liberty just to see how Reilly's defense matches up with Jim Crutchfield's high-octane Hilltoppers.
Beggars can't be choosers, though. Just give the Knights a bid!