As I write this, we are just 23 days away from Gannon's 2013-14 season opener vs. California (Pa.). I can still recall driving home March 5 from last season's crushing PSAC quarterfinals overtime loss to Slippery Rock and counting on my fingers 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-plus months until we see the Knights in action again. And now the months have melted to weeks and finally to days.
As we draw closer to tip-off, more information about Gannon Hoops is bubbling to the surface. Some of it comes from this in-depth interview with John Reilly on SportsRadio 1330 The FAN with Jim LeCorchick and Sean Amicucci. I recommend you listen to the entire conversation, but here are some of the points that jumped out at me:
* Coach Reilly confirmed four players will redshirt this season: senior transfer Rich Austin along with freshmen Brandon Domenick, Nolan Woodward, and Marcus Jones.
* I didn't have any word on how Gannon performed, but Reilly mentioned the Knights opened their preseason schedule last Saturday at Findlay, preseason #9 in the NABC Division II poll.
* Pitt-Johnstown head coach Bob Rukavina is still a friend of John Reilly's despite (1) Kyle Goldcamp transferring to Gannon and (2) UPJ winning too many Gary Miller Classics.
Here are some other Knight Knotes that will interest you. If they don't, you're on the wrong website and should maybe switch to this one:
* The team photo is now online and included at the bottom of this post. For a complete roster, click here.
* The annual Maroon/Gold Scrimmage will be held Tuesday, Nov. 5, at the Hammermill Center. Details will be announced in the near future on the official Gannon basketball website. I'll share one detail with you now: you'll have to tell me how the scrimmage goes, because I won't be able to attend. I'll be holding my first practice of the season for my daughter's MYAA 2nd-3rd grade basketball team. I'm thinking about this being our first drill. Not ambitious enough?
* UPDATED 10/30/13: According the the PSAC preseason coaches poll, the Gannon men have been picked to finish second in the newly expanded 9-team Western Division. Click here for Gannon's press release which also links to the official PSAC press release. IUP was tabbed first followed by Gannon, Slippery Rock, Cal, UPJ, Mercyhurst, Seton Hill, Edinboro, and Clarion. The biggest shocker in the PSAC East isn't that West Chester is number one but Lock Haven is sixth out of nine teams! This may be the first time in a decade the Bald Eagles haven't been preseason last place. No reports of revelers in the streets and overturned cars on the LHU campus ... yet.