Saturday, August 31, 2013
New Knight: Rich Austin F 6-6 210 Sr.
Here's some biographical information on Austin, much of it from Gannon's press release on the recruits plus additional info I discovered online, including the Lake Erie College website:
* As a junior, ranked third on Lake Erie in scoring (10.4 ppg) and first in rebounding (5.9 rpg) despite missing 7 games, including a stretch of 6 in the middle of the season.
* Shot 44% from the field (67-for-153), just 5-for-28 on three-pointers (18%). Made 76% of his foul shots (50-for-66). Ranked second on the team with 10 blocked shots.
* Hit for a season-high 20 points twice vs. Notre Dame (Oh.) and Lake Superior State.
* Registered 13 points and 6 rebounds in an 80-73 win over NCAA tournament participant Slippery Rock. You remember them, right?
* In the season opener at Division I Bowling Green, Austin posted 7 points and 7 rebounds
* The Storm finished the season 8-18 overall and just 5-17 in the GLIAC, which may answer why Austin wanted to transfer to Gannon. That's just my suspicion; I have no inside information why he made the move after three years at the Painesville school.
* Or maybe he left because Lake Erie averages just 245 fans for home games, which I think is fewer than Blessed Sacrament attracts for J.V. girls games.
* Or maybe he left because when fans do attend the games, they do annoying stuff like this and participate in dreadful in-game contests like this. Can somebody please tell me what that is and how it makes the game highlight film?
* As a sophomore, led 10-16 Lake Erie in scoring (12.2 ppg), rebounding (6.2 ppg), blocked shots (13), minutes played, and free throw attempts.
* Stunningly that same season he had only 9 assists (vs. 49 turnovers) in 794 minutes of action.
* Shot 45% from the field (123-for-273), 26% on threes (15-of-57), and 71% (55-of-78) from the foul line. Reached double figures 17 times as a sophomore.
* Registered team highs of 21 points and 5 rebounds at Division I Detroit Mercy.
* Scored a season-high 24 points plus snared 9 rebounds in a win at Rollins (Fla.), who had been ranked in the Division II top 10 that season. Earned all-tournament team honors at the Rollins tournament.
* Tallied 22 points on 9-of-14 shooting in a 62-60 win at Northwood (Mich.).
* Dominated Ohio Dominican with 17 points and 14 rebounds.
* As a freshman, earned 12 starts for the 7-19 Storm, averaging 6 ppg (4th best on the team) and 3.9 rpg (3rd best).
* Shot 46% from the field, 21% on threes (4-for-19), and 69% at the foul line. Led Lake Erie in rebounding 3 times.
* This has nothing to do with Austin, but check out the stat line of LEC teammate Ethan Bradshaw in an 82-78 win at Urbana: 40 points, 7-of-15 FG, 4-of-8 3FG and 22-of-25 FT. Austin had 6 points that game, none from the foul line.
* As a senior at Cleveland St. Ignatius HS, averaged 9 points and 7 rebounds per game for a district championship team.
* I don't have Austin's stats from this game, but St. Ignatius beat Prep his senior season, 53-36
* Austin's postseason accolades included a Greater Cleveland Basketball Coaches Association All-Star selection (he scored 12 points in that all-star game) and being awarded the team's Coaches Cup. I hope that trophy doesn't look like this.
* And if you're wondering if he can play above the rim, the answer is yes. Evidence here.