The PSAC Letters of Intent web page confirms that Girbran Smith, a 6-foot-4 guard from Nassau, The Bahamas, will be a member of the GU program this fall. Among the other non-American newcomers he'll join at Gannon will be Raphell Thomas-Edwards (United Kingdom), Marcus Jones (Brantford, Ont.), and Nolan Woodward (Montreal).
But it's not like John Reilly grabbed a bottle of sunscreen and a pair of sunglasses to recruit Smith. The soon-to-be junior starred last year at Kankakee Community College in Illinois and played scholastically at Seton Academy near Chicago. Here's all the info I could dig up on Smith:
* Named second team all-region at Kankakee after leading the club in scoring (14.2 ppg), three-pointers made (59), and steals (2 spg).
* Was second on the team in rebounding (5.5 ppg) and in blocks (1 bpg) while shooting 46.7% from the field (158-of-338), 41.8% on threes (59-for-141), and 65.7% from the foul line (65-of-99).
* Played in 31 games, starting 30, and posted a decent 1.6 assist-to-turnover ratio (78 assists, 50 turnovers).
* So statistically speaking he seems to be an all-around player offensively. He can shoot the three, but fewer than 50% of his field goal attempts were from beyond the arc. And he made it to the free throw line about 3 or 4 times a game.
* Erupted for 29 points in back-to-back games in early December, making 22-of-37 field goals and 12-of-23 three-pointers. Partway down this web page from South Suburban College, Smith's exploits vs. the Bulldogs on Dec. 6 are detailed. I'm amused that all field goals behind the arc are described as "3" point shots. Never seen the number in quote marks before.
* Eclipsed the 20-point mark six times during his sophomore season at KCC.
* In the Region IV championship game, a 91-81 loss to Malcom X College, he led the Cavaliers with 17 points.
* Kankakee finished the season a deceptive 14-18. On the court they won 20 games, but had to forfeit 6 or 7 victories because of an ineligible player.
* And if you still can't get enough of Kankakee Community College basketball, this will link you to their 2012-13 media guide that includes a few photos of Smith. The quote from his coach describes the kind of guy I like seeing in a Golden Knight uniform: "Girbran has a smooth game. He can do everything on the floor and works really hard both on and off the court."
* Gannon will be Smith's third college in three years. After his freshman year at Rock Valley College, Smith and three of his teammates followed coach Julian Springer to Kankakee. (Let's hope that story doesn't motivate any players on the Gannon women's basketball team to follow suit.)
* Was a highly productive frosh, averaging 11.5 ppg and 4.1 rpg. Made 37% of his three-point attempts (28-of-76), 51% of his overall field goals (132-for-260), and 75% of his foul shots (64-for-85). He recorded 42 steals (1.3 pg) and 63 turnovers in 31 games for the Golden Eagles.
* Smith scored 25 points in a win over Harper College (Ill.) according to this web page. To be honest with you, the main reason I'm sharing this link is because I think I'm the only human in Erie who owns a long-sleeved T-shirt, hooded sweatshirt, pennant, and bumper sticker from Harper College. It's a long story as you might imagine.
* I searched every corner of the internet for data on Smith at Seton Academy High School but couldn't find anything. So here's a link to the school. That's the best I could do. Sorry. Let me know if you'd like a full refund.
* As far as photos, here's a head-and-shoulders shot of Smith and a picture of him defending during a Kankakee game at Danville (Ill.).