Thursday, January 10, 2013

If You Like The Blog, You'll Love The Book

The roles I've played at the Hammermill Center over the past three decades have included player, benchwarmer, practice player, benchwarmer, broadcaster, benchwarmer, statistician, benchwarmer, and fan. On Feb. 16, I'll add two more titles: author and cancer fundraiser. I'll be part of Pink Zone 2013, the cancer fundraiser coordinated each year by the Gannon women's basketball team. I will sign copies of my book Hire Like You Just Beat Cancer with $5 from each sale being donated to the American Cancer Society.

Here's some background on the book: When I was a young manager, I thought I understood the importance of hiring top-notch people. Then, at age 32, I got cancer. Being forced to step away from my co-workers for an extended period of time (with one of the options being stepping away forever) made me realize that the people you hire truly make or break your business. In Hire Like You Just Beat Cancer, you’ll read short, easy-to-digest chapters filled with detailed examples and time-tested best practices that you can implement immediately at your organization. The lessons I learned when cancer knocked me down helped build me up as a hiring manager, and I apply those lessons aggressively every time I interview a potential employee.

I'm looking forward to the book signing and the games. Go Knights!

2 comments:

  1. This is great Jim. How much are the books? I am assuming they will be on sale at the Mill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book is regularly $17.95 plus shipping, but they will be sold at the Hammermill for $15.

      Delete