Sunday, September 30, 2012
New Knight: Cory Bailey fr. 5-11 165
Here's some more information on Bailey:
* Click on this link for his official Gannon bio.
* Was named North East's most outstanding player after averaging 10.4 ppg as a senior, second best on the Grape Pickers.
* North East was the Region V and District 10 runners-up in 2012. The Grape Pickers won both titles Bailey's junior campaign.
* The Grape Pickers were eliminated in the first round of the 2012 PIAA playoffs by Summit Academy, 44-43. In that game Bailey scored 13 points and hit 4-of-4 free throws, earning himself Erie Times Breakout Player of the Week honors.
* His free throw in the closing seconds helped North East hold off Lakeview in this year's D-10 Class AA semifinals, 41-40. Bailey totaled 8 points for the game.
* When Gannon plays at Edinboro this year, I hope Coach Reilly draws up this play for Bailey. I implore you to click on that link -- the highlight is amazing and turned out to be the difference for the game.
* Stayed very busy at North East: he was a member of the honor roll, earned a perfect attendance award, and played football for the Region IV champion Grape Pickers. Was named first-team all-region at defensive back and second team all-region at quarterback.
* If you're a fan of both stiff-arms and muddy high school football (me, too), here's a great photo of Bailey in action when the Grape Pickers annihilated Fort LeBoeuf.
* Here's a photo of Bailey shooting a jumper at Gannon wearing maroon and gold. No, I don't have time machine; the Grape Pickers played Greensburg Central Catholic in a playoff game at the Hammermill Center this past March.
If you're keeping score at home, I managed to say "Grape Pickers" 7 times in this post. Greatest school nickname ever.