Random thoughts after Gannon's 80-73 win at Slippery Rock Wednesday night:
* Please click here to see how I'm reacting to Gannon's victory tonight and their PSAC playoff possibilities.
* The Knights need Cal to win at Edinboro and Clarion to wake up and win at Slippery Rock while GU needs to steal a victory at IUP Saturday. Collapsing Clarion has lost 5-of-6 including a 13-point L Wednesday night at Cal, 74-61. The Eagles only win in the last half dozen games was a come-from-behind home victory against hapless Lock Haven. I know it's asking a lot for Clarion to give a crap and show an effort Saturday and asking even more for them to win, but stranger things have happened.
* Speaking of strange things happening, did you see what happened at the Mercyhurst Athletic Center yesterday? I was stunned to see the EUP men choke the Hurst 73-64. But that wasn't the biggest shocker of the doubleheader. How in the blazes did the Mercyhurst women take down #2 and previously undefeated Edinboro in OT?
* The Gannon coaching staff haters will need to take another night off. Coach Reilly and company are pressing the right buttons now, and this team is hitting its stride. Slippery Rock was 10-3 at home and outreboudning opponents 45-34. The Knights drove down I-79, punched SRU in the mouth, and beat them on the boards 37-31.
* I can't believe Gannon has won four straight games on the road (at Lock Haven, Edinboro, Clarion, Slippery Rock). Finally some consistency in a roller-coaster campaign!
* Adam Blazek is guaranteed to be PSAC West Freshman of the Year. But could he sneak into the first-team all-PSAC West discussion? He's been amazing down the stretch, including Rocking SRU Wednesday with 26 points and 6 steals. He was 3-for-6 on three-pointers against the #1 three-point field goal percentage defense in Division II play.
* Gannon is the only Catholic school still on the PSAC playoff bubble. Please pray early and often the rest of this week.