Thursday, August 5, 2010

The Dwayne Soders Saga Continues ... Before It's Even Started


I don't know if there's ever been more discussion around Erie or on local sports talk radio regarding a kid that Gannon hasn't even acknowledged they're interested in than Dwayne Soders. If you don't know what I'm talking about, you can catch up on Soders, aka Mr. Walk Like Jordan, by reading the comments on this recent Gannon Hoops post.

Just when I thought this was over (before it ever really began), this comment shows up on this site yesterday. I'm sharing it here because not everyone will read 20 comments deep on a post. Here goes:

darius said...

Its funny how people will sit up and talk about a individual they've never met to make themselves feel important! I know the kid Dwayne Soders from fort worth witch is one of the greatest players to come through fort worth ISD. He was the MVP of the district of fort worth, leading his team all the way to the semi finals in 2007. Signed with McClennan Community College where he was a very important piece of what was a great program, playing in the national junior college playoffs being recruited very highly from schools like Arkansas razor backs Nevada, Rutgers, Morehead State,MISSOURI IN THE BIG TWELVE, TCU and many other schools. His sophmore season from kilgore College where he was one of the important pieces leading them to the playoff's witch they hadn't made before he signed. he led them in field goal percentage, while leading the team in rebounds while he was 4th in scoring. Dwayne Soders decided to sit out a year to work toward his associates degree he needed to compete at the division one level. while Dwayne Soders took a year off he did a lot of community service to give back to those who helped him get to where he was and receive his accomplishments. He was called to give a speech to the chairman and board of the BOYS AND GIRLS CLUB OF GREATER FORT WORTH on why they shouldn't close boys and girls club's, he gave his time the entire summer coaching a AAU team of young men took them to La's Vegas and won the entire tournament! I know Dwayne Soders personally i deal with him on the every day basis he is a great individual with the heart and desire to make a difference in the up coming future! Dwayne attends church where his grand father is a pastor witch is who he stays with, he plays the drums and participates in all kind of activities in the church. I Believe it is sad how you guys will sit up and down grade a person you know nothing about. I hope you guys know that Dwayne Soders is coming to Gannon University feeling better than ever, while sitting out this summer Soders has trained with Arkansas hall of fame and NBA'S retired veteran OLIVER MILLER KNOW AS BIG O, and the Harlem Globe Trotters LARRY COLEMAN ALL SUMMER. DWAYNE SODERS IS A 6'6 ATHLETIC, VERSITLE GUARD FORWARD, HAS A TONE OF STRENGTH, AND HAS BEEN SAID TO BE ONE OF THE HARDEST WORKING PLAYERS TO HIT THE FLOOR, DWAYNE BRINGS HIS GAME IN A TONE OF WAYS, HE'S A BIG TIME REBOUNDER, VERY SKILLED AND POWERFULL POST PLAYER, CAN PUT IT ON THE FLOOR, AND SHOOT THE THREE. LOOK OUT GANNON!!!! I AM DARIUS THOMAS WHEN I SAW THIS ARTICLE I HAD TO LEAVE A PIECE OF MIND!
August 4, 2010 11:18 PM


And check out a post from today on the @MrWalkLikeJordan Twitter page: WHAT I SAW ANOTHER INDIVIDUAL WRITE UP ABOUT ME IN A ONLINE ARTICLE... AND KNOWS NOTHING OF MY CHARACTERISTICS.... I'M USING AS MOTIVATION!! (Aug. 5)

I find the dynamic of this whole thing fascinating. Most of our sources for this is user-generated text on the internet which could have zero validity whatsoever. Any day now I'm expecting to hear that this whole thing was a charade. At the same time, I'm expecting a press release from GU SID Dan Teliski announcing Soders' signing.

Is this whole thing fact or fiction? Don't know, don't care. Either way it's drama. Most Division II basketball teams don't get fans talking about them during the season let alone in the dog days of August. As long as we're talking Gannon hoops, I'm a happy guy.

Side Note: I've been told that spotted on the Gannon campus this week was Ferrakohn Hall, a 6-foot-8 transfer from Seton Hall (the Pirates had a coaching change this off-season). He didn't have great stats at Seton Hall (2.4 ppg), but he was first-team all state at White Station HS (Tenn.) and is described as "long and athletic." I've also been told that Hall was offered a scholarship by coach Reilly and accepted immediately. Could he be the big man we've been waiting for?

No -- because what I said in the previous paragraph was completely fabricated. As far as I know, Ferrakohn Hall has never heard of Erie, let alone visited here. I just made it up. But I had you going for a second, didn't I? Be careful what you read on the web ...

15 comments:

  1. Not so fast. Its F Haul not Hall. My barber's sister in law's cousin's freind told me its a done deel. Ha ha.
    Seriously, I enjoy all the cojecture. True or not it helps pass the summer.
    As far as mr Soders all the twitter chat may just be an athlete tooting his own horn as many like to do. I don't pay any heed to the hype, but it is fun to read. I'll just wait til Nov before I start forming lasting opinions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the "Big O" was Oscar Robertson? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm intrigued by the fact that Soders' grandfather is a pastor witch. Is he the head warlock or something?

    The chatter is mildly interesting, but as Jim says, who knows? Who knows who all these people are that are posting thing? I'm glad that I have other ways to pass the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There have been several posts the past couple days on the @MrWalkLikeJordan Twitter page germane to this situation:

    GANNON'S MEN'S BASKETBALL ON DECK!!! YES SIR....YOU CAN CATCH ME IN ERIE PENNSYLVANIA THIS TUESDAY PUTIN IN WORK AND MEETING AND GREETING...

    ERIE, PENNSYLVANIA ON TUESDAY BACK 2 DALLAS FORT WORTH WED... CHICAGO TO THE GULF COAST WITH OPRAH AT HER RESTAURANT ON THE 15 TO 19 LETSGO!

    ILL BE FLYING OUT TO ERIE PENNSYLVANIA ON THIS TUESDAY....IVE BEEN TRAINING NON STOP HARD WORK AND DEDICATION THESE LAST FEW WEEKS IT WILL..

    TO EVERY ONE I MAY HAVE EVER COME OFF ASS I PROBLEM TO.. I NEVER MEANT TO I'M FAR BEYOND THAT... IM JUST SAYING/REAL TALK I APOLOGIZE TO ALL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dwayne HAS spent all summer coaching AAU basketball - my son was one of the players he coached. The Fort Worth FIRM did win the Swoosh Ultimate Showcase tournament in Vegas. We were 8-0 in the tournament. Anyone who wants to speak to me about this directly can do so at wayne_mcneil@hotmail.com - I'm not some random guy pulling stuff out of thin air.

    And Dwayne didn't just coach in a traditional way, he participated in every practice as a player and a coach. He ran through the plays with the boys and on the twice a week skills day, he worked as hard as any of the players. He was working on improving himself as a player at the same time he was teaching and inspiring young men.

    I don't know basketball enough to know how truly good of a player he is (although I suspect you guys will be VERY happy with him). I do know that you are getting a good man to represent your community.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Id be more convinced by someone who can actually spell "which" correctly.

    Fact of the matter is that a kid with a Facebook/Twitter name comparing himself to the greatest basketball player of all time went out and added numerous Gannon students as his Facebook friends, boasts about partying and club promoting, is at his fifth school and hasn't played in two years.

    I'd be more concerned about the intelligence and sensibilities of basketball fans that don't find alarm in that set of facts than those who do.

    As far as Mr Walks Like Jordan's choir boy image painted by his spelling-challenged compadre, thats a classic case of "he cant be guilty because he's such a nice guy" protectionism. Volunteering at the Boys and Girls Club by day leaves plenty of time for his other activities at night.

    Are we being too uptight about what we expect out of Gannon players? Perhaps, but Soders wants to play for Gannon where standards of decency are different than some state school where life is a free-for-all. I'm glad that character of the kids even an issue for Gannon players.

    If Reilly at this point is not aware of Soders and his antics, I'd first of all be concerned that Reilly is that out of touch. Id secondly be concerned if he is aware and is still offering this wanna-be a scholarship.

    Simply put: Gannon needs more Kyle Goldcamps and Troy Nesmiths, not Mr. Walks Like Jordan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are not many on here who can read your Asian lingo. Its not funny anymore. It is annoying. Why do you do it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. GU Fanman- That's a spammer. It's not a real "person" per say. I keep reporting them to the blogspot staff, but obviously nothing is working. It's very annoying!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @MrWalkLikeJordan Twitter posts from Monday and yesterday germane to Gannon Hoops:

    ERIE PENNSYLVANIA IS WHERE YOU CAN CATCH TOMORROW PREPARING FOR COLLEGE BALL EVERYBODY SAY A SPECIAL PRAYER FOR ME LETS!! GO!!

    IN THE AIR PORT JUST THANKING GOD FOR ALL THE LIFE OPPURTUNITIES I BEEN GIVING I'VE BEEN VERY FORTUNATE STOP COMPLAINING COUNT UR BLESSINGS

    Nothing else has been posted in the last 24 hours -- I'm curious to read what happens next. Either way it's an interesting story, and you have to appreciate the kid's passion/energy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. someone with an inside touch will let us know by 23Aug.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just thinking ... What if Twitter were around in the 1980's? What would Mitchell Smith's Twitter posts have been like? How many Facebook friends would Tom Chapman have had?

    ReplyDelete
  12. No, no! What would Jim Roddy's Twitter posts have said? And how many friends would HE have on Facebook? :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Zero Facebook friends, and all the tweets would be like this:

    Sitting on the bench.

    Still on the bench.

    The other hoop looks really far away when you're sitting on the end of the bench.

    Time out. I get to stretch my legs.

    Is coach going to put me in? No, he was just walking this way to get a cup of water.

    On the bench.

    Man, those splinters really hurt in your butt.

    Still on the bench.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jim: unfortunately I belive those would have been your tweets haha however, I'm in total disagreement about the facebook. You'd have a ton of friends; teammates, Gannon players and coaches, Gannon basketball fans, your blog followers, etc.

    Also props to you on getting mentioned TWICE by John Dudley in ETN today.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What ever happen to Dwayne Soders? Where did he end up? What is his Output?

    ReplyDelete