I don't think new recruits Anthony Clagett and Dennis Rumph will mind us talking about them together. After all, they were teammates the past two seasons at Allen County Community College in Iola, Kansas. The Iola website says that the town of 5,700 boasts "one of the largest town squares west of the Mississippi." More importantly, I learned on the Internet that Allen CCC was 17-13 last year (11-7 in the Kansas Jayhawk Community College Conference), losing in the first round of the postseason tournament. The only team that I recognized on the AC3 schedule was Neosho (KS) College, the alma mater of former Golden Knight Cass Wright.
Here's a breakdown of each player; again kudos to Gannon SID Dan Teliski for much of the information:
Anthony Clagett (PG, 6-1, jr.)
* The most insightful data I came across on Clagett is this highlight video of him at Friendship Collegiate Academy in Washington D.C. Looks like he can really slash to the basket and finish with either hand. His jumper is also pretty smooth.
* The move at the 3:14 mark of the tape is pretty nasty. If that was me, I'd be watching that segment of the video over and over and over and over. I think John Reilly's favorite part was the stretch showing Clagett's defensive prowess (that begins right around 2:30).
* The final 30 seconds of the tape provides this data: Clagett won over 50 games as a junior and senior; he's the epitome of intelligence, toughness, and leadership (and maybe hyperbole); and "he is also your next point guard."
* I have to admit, it's hard to watch the video and not get fired up that he's joining Gannon. But I have to remind myself that it's a high school highlight tape. For all I know, the kid could commit 22 turnovers a game.
* At AC3, he averaged 12.1 points, 4.5 assists, 3.2 rebounds and 1.5 steals, shooting 49 percent (80-for-165) from the field
* A Kansas juco website describes him as "point guard ... excellent ball handler, strong on-ball defender and great competitor"
* Here's his bio from AC3
* In high school he averaged 13.5 ppg, 7 apg, 6.2 rpg, and 4 steals
* His Twitter account is protected, so you can't see what he's writing -- which is VERY smart -- but I think you'll like his account name: @GU_Knight
Dennis Rumph (F, 6-6, jr.)
* I couldn't find as much info on Rumph. His AC3 bio says he's from Boynton Beach, Fla. That's where Bob Dukiet was residing when he passed away, and it's the hometown of former Gannon leaper Vince Mosley.
* At AC3, he was named to the KJCAA all-conference second team.
* He's not a big scorer (9 ppg), but he had good stats in terms of rebounding (8.2 avg) and blocks (2.2 avg) last season. Shot 49 percent (90-185) from the field.
* A Kansas juco website describes him as "excellent rebounder and shot blocker who gets up and down the floor well."
* Here's a photo of Rumph in action at AC3