Two things on that. First, Reilly doesn't overhype players, so saying he's the most talented is a huge compliment. Second, the "freedom comment" says something about Reid's previous college coach, Loyola's Jimmy Patsos. If you want some more acerbic comments about Patsos, check out this article titled, "Jimmy Patsos Is A Jerk Episode II." http://bleacherreport.com/articles/112040-jimmy-patsos-is-a-jerk-episode-ii-star-player-jamal-barney-disgusts-his-coach
I've scoured the Internet for some more data on Reid and here's what I came up with:
- Played in 32 games as a sophomore last season, starting 18. Averaged 5.7 ppg and 5.7 rpg.
- Loyola fan comment on Reid's performance in an exhibition game: "Very athletic, had a few nice alley oop dunks and played well on defense grabbing some boards.Had 12pts and 4 rebounds"
- Appeared in 17 games as a true freshman with one start
- Averaged 24.6 points and 13.2 rebounds as a senior at Angleton High School (TX), where he was named Texas 4A Player of the Year and selected to the All-State first team
- Named District 24-4A Defensive Player of the Year and Brazoria County Player of the Year as a junior. (You knew he'd have to be good defensively to be recruited by Reilly.)
- Played for head coach Tom Penders Jr., the son of the current Univ. of Houston coach and former coach at Texas and Rhode Island
- Here's a comment from Penders Jr. in 2006 when Reid signed with Loyola: "Isaac is a tough kid, a typical MAAC animal. He is the type of kid who has done well in the MAAC. He's an incredible athlete who can shoot it from the outside as well as post up and his best dimension is his toughness."
- Here's a quote from Patsos in the same press release, apparently before he became a Jerk with a capital J: "We are looking for him to help us immediately and he can play the 3, 4 or 5 positions. He's a good student and a good fit for Loyola."
- This message board speculates why Reid left Loyola. Of course message boards (and blogs!) are an extremely unreliable source of info, but what's the off-season without some wild speculation?
- From high school: http://www.weeklyjournal.net/content/moxiepix/b5_856.jpg
- vs. Boston College: http://www.baltimoresun.com/media/photo/2008-11/43435328.jpg
- vs. NC State: http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0h141GKaFn70Q/340x.jpg
- Dunking vs. Va. Union in the regional championship: Coming soon ...