As good as the Gannon job is, the move to USI had to be tempting. USI's home is Evansville, IN, a city of 300,000 that's about a half hour from Owensboro, KY, where Reilly thrived for over a decade at Brescia University. And before USI coach Rick Herdes was jettisoned (see link below), the Screaming Eagles' previous coach was Bruce Pearl. He jumped from USI to Wisconsin-Milwaukee to Tennessee, where he now enjoys a 6-year, $2.3 million per year contract.
If Reilly had left, Gannon would be in start-all-over mode. Again; just like when Jerry Slocum left 4 years ago. Gannon has a slew of key contributors to replace and wouldn't have a new coach until June at the soonest. We'd be looking at a 30-4 season followed by something closer to 4-30. GU's team would be Mark Demski, George Johnson (if he didn't follow Reilly ot USI) and Robert Buckner (if he's healthy) plus whatever leftovers haven't been signed. I'm glad that Knightmare never came to fruition.
A few links of interest:
- What the H happened at USI? http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/basketball/ncaa/05/14/sindiana.forfeit.ap/index.html
- The Screaming Eagles landed a new coach yesterday: www.usi.edu/sports/mbasket/mbasket.asp
- Here are some really good Gannon basketball YouTube links: www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpQAlXyN_n4, www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ445lDNTgM
- This one has Gannon highlights, but it may make you cry: www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjx9-R-pcTc
- If you're curious what I do for a living, you can catch a glimpse here: www.bsminfo.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=category§ionid=21&id=424&Itemid=56