Saturday, May 23, 2009

Whew! Reilly staying at GU

When I saw the news reports yesterday that Gannon coach John Reilly interviewed for the Southern Indiana basketball job -- and thankfully turned them down -- I breathed a huge sigh of relief. I've come to terms that the Knights won't have Joe Lindsey, Kyle Goldcamp, Pierre Howard, Tyler Stoczynski, Cory Knight, and Dave Wilson next year, but to lose the coaching staff would be devastating. Had Reilly joined the Screaming Eagles program, he would have left behind several screaming Knight fans -- me wailing the loudest.

As good as the Gannon job is, the move to USI had to be tempting. USI's home is Evansville, IN, a city of 300,000 that's about a half hour from Owensboro, KY, where Reilly thrived for over a decade at Brescia University. And before USI coach Rick Herdes was jettisoned (see link below), the Screaming Eagles' previous coach was Bruce Pearl. He jumped from USI to Wisconsin-Milwaukee to Tennessee, where he now enjoys a 6-year, $2.3 million per year contract.

If Reilly had left, Gannon would be in start-all-over mode. Again; just like when Jerry Slocum left 4 years ago. Gannon has a slew of key contributors to replace and wouldn't have a new coach until June at the soonest. We'd be looking at a 30-4 season followed by something closer to 4-30. GU's team would be Mark Demski, George Johnson (if he didn't follow Reilly ot USI) and Robert Buckner (if he's healthy) plus whatever leftovers haven't been signed. I'm glad that Knightmare never came to fruition.

A few links of interest:

11 comments:

  1. did you mean Robert Buckner?! who's Tyrone Buckner? I think you mixed Ty Pace and Robert Buckner together :0)

    but he did just sign that Jerrell Sanders.. CC kid out of Columbus who's supposed to be a solid SF and apparently he gotta 6'8 or a 6'9 kid as well... also JUCO transfer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa ... When did this happen? I guess I haven't been paying much attention recently. The simple thought of Coach Reilly leaving is scary. I assumed that he'd stay here for 7-10 years. It would have been devastating to the program. I suppose that if USI comes calling, you've at least gotta listen.

    Perhaps Reilly used the interview and offer to sweeten his contract a bit, no shame in that. Funny that GU fans wanted to kick him to the curb two years ago. Now one of the top programs in D-II offers him a job.

    And I take offense to the comment that USI is a launching pad for D-I. Look at the past two ex-coach D-I forays ... Chapman at SBU and Slocum at YSU ... Well ... never mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Average Joe: I have no idea who Tyrone Buckner is. Thanks for pointing out my error. I was just telling my wife about my screwup on the radio where I called one of Ferris State's Epps twins (either Cory or Carlton) by the name "Omar Epps" several times. I would have kept doing it, but Steve Bohen asked me, "Isn't Omar Epps an actor?" Sure enough, he is. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omar_Epps

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha thats funny... its okay. I thought maybe Tyrone Buckner was some big recruit.. thanks for getting my hopes up! haha just kidding :0)

    Have a safe Holiday everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is your 6'9" kid - Anthony Simmons out of Connecticut: http://bit.ly/2m7TKG This last season at Suffield Academy, he averaged 13.1 PPG, 10 RPG, and 1.7 BPG.

    :) That's certainly more specific, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes that's him!!!! how'd you find that? and why the hell doesn't Gannon announced signees? haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Google is a miracle worker.

    From what I've been able to tell, possibly two football players (who both played in OH and were on high ranked small school teams) may be playing next year (or were possibly one of the players sitting with Buckner last year). Then Sanders and Simmons

    ReplyDelete
  8. The players on the bench with Buckner were Dane Givner and Jonathan Jones, who are both also Gannon football players. Jones is supposed to be a big "impact" player this upcoming season (from what I've heard). They both, obviously, redshirted.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I knew about the Mich player who played for an Ohio CC coming. I've not heard about the Conn kid til now. On a side note Ty Batts from the BB is supposed to be a good Running Back in football. From what I saw in the sp[ring game, he looks to be a scoot and bam runner. Looked good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jim, As a current Gannon student, I have no idea what I would have done if Coach Reilly would have left. Probably joined in your wailing. I watched that montage (well, the first two min) from the elite 8 game and had to turn it off after I started tearing up. I was at that game (I camped out in Waldron Campus Center for 8 hours to be first in line for the ticket) and the memory is still too fresh in my mind.

    Thanks for keeping up with this blog-- I always love reading what you have to say :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beth: Thanks for the kind words. I couldn't watch all of the SMS coverage either. On the bright side, you'll always be able to say you were first in line!

    ReplyDelete