Sunday, February 8, 2009

They looked good in warm-ups

You had to be impressed watching Cal go through their pregame layup lines yesterday. Nearly every player was long and lean and moved smoothly on and over the hardwood. And it's probably not accurate to say "layup lines" -- the Vulcans spent much of their warm-ups tossing alley-oops to each other above the rim. Gannon then promptly ran circles around this gifted team, embarrassing them on the boards (49-24) and, more importantly, on the scoreboard (83-59). So much for first impressions.

Other observations from yesterday:
  • On his team's opening offensive possession, Cal guard Joe Berenato hit a long three from the left wing and then taunted the crowd by raising his arms in the air and waggling three fingers on either hand. His team proceeded to score only 6 points over the next 14 minutes of play. I didn't notice Berenato popping off during that stretch. The lesson here: after you make a shot, shut up and sprint back on defense or you risk looking foolish.
  • One of my lasting memories of Bob Dukiet is him chewing out one of my teammates for raising his arms after hitting a three the previous year. Duke had caught the player violating this code of conduct when watching a tape from the previous season (the Tom Chapman era). If Duke was coaching Cal yesterday, Berenato would have been out the rest of the game. Then again, if Dukiet was coaching Cal, the Vulcans wouldn't haven't stood around on defense like they did yesterday.
  • Kyle Goldcamp deserved the huge ovation he received when he entered the game yesterday. I had an interesting perspective on that moment because my family was sitting in front of several members of the Erie BayHawks basketball team. The Hawks players were baffled why the crowd erupted between Joe Lindsey's free throws, so I explained the situation to them.
  • No surprise that Antwon Buggs was the last player off the bench for Cal yesterday. I say that because I imagine he's strugged with self-esteem his entire life. Think about it -- when he was a kid he must have heard other kids say "I don't like Buggs" and "I think Buggs are icky," and their parents warn them to "stay away from Buggs." I would have loved to have broadcast the game yesterday so I would have been able to say, "Buggs hops off the bench ..."
  • The Knights dismantled the Vulcans despite committing 22 turnovers. If Goldcamp can stay healthy and GU can protect the basketball, this will be a season and a post-season to remember.

16 comments:

  1. I was at the Gannon vs. Cal game last night, and it was good to see the gannon faithful fill the adui to the rafters again. Maybe the toilet paper will return for the Edinboro game...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The toilet paper will probably never return for the fact that if it does Gannon gets hit with a bench technical foul. So if a "fan" is dumb enough to do that, I'd say they're not a true fan. It was good to see the Audi filled pretty well. Only problem is I don't think most of them were there to watch the game... I think Goldcamp's return was the main reason a lot of people went (note todays newspaper... huge article on Goldcamp, nothing about how the game went... not saying that's bad, but just using it as an example). Heck, I had to work last night and couldn't attend the game and I even paid the $7 to watch it on B2N just to see Goldcamp get his ovation!!!

    I am hoping, however, that people will realize that this team is for real and that the place will be booming from now on. You only have 3 options for good basketball in Erie. 1) Edinboro, but it's a drive from Erie, especially in Winter. 2) Mercyhurst, but they're too inconsistent and their seats are the most uncomfortable thing I've ever sat on and then 3) Gannon. A premier Division II school, ranked in the top 10 almost the entire season, All-American center (I feel Lindsey should be at least All-American honorable mention after his performance with and without Kyle), and just an all-around fun team. Plus, prices are cheaper at Gannon than Mercyhurst. (I paid $1.50 for a Gatorade at the Hurst game, and it was a mini one!! $1.25 for a can of pop, when Gannon is $1.00 or $1.25 for a bottle... joke!)

    Oh, wait, I forgot about the Bayhawks too... wait, no.. no I didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The excitement is back. Clearly a double-header to remember ... Goldcamp comes back in front of 2235 fans that were into the men's game from the start.

    It didn't hurt the crowd's enthusiasm that they saw Lady Knights knock off the #2 team in the country in the previous game in a game where every inch of the floor was contested for the entire 40 minutes. Great job by Cleve's and Reilly's players!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was only kidding about the toilet paper. haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm all for bringing back the toilet paper. It only is a technical foul, the Knights usually score enough that 1 or 2 points wont matter....Ok not one of my better ideas, but that was so cool seeing that back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The crowd of 2,235 was the largest crowd for a non-Mercyhurst game since GU's 2400 vs. Wayne State in March 2004.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The excitement is back. The crowds this year are into the game. The Cal game they were into it from the start till the end, and it was not a even a good game.

    The Hammermill Center...The Most Hostile Environment In DII Basketball.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Golden89: Very good stat on the non-Mercyhurst game attendance. I wonder what is Mercyhurst's largest non-Gannon crowd in recent history.

    Faithful & 4Ever: After I retire, I'm going to start my own pro basketball league that gives a technical for NOT throwing toilet paper after the home team's first basket. That was my favorite Audi tradition. And I apologize to Jim Camp for my lack on arm strength which resulted in him getting hit a couple times.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That would be a great league haha. I would love to see the toilet paper come back. Just think about it, after Gannon scores their first basketball against Endinboro, toilet paper on the floor and 2,600 Gannon fans in a frenzy. They place would just go nuts! BRING IT BACK!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Copy and paste the link below to see toilet paper being thrown onto the the Audi floor.

    http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=b7d8a4953d&view=att&th=11f5e1be87f6eb04&attid=0.1&disp=inline&zw

    ReplyDelete
  12. must be a gmail account user to see the photo, sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  13. OK, fixed it. Here is the new link. Just copy and past.

    http://ramblerbasketball.com/gannon

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree that I would love to see the toilet paper come back... don't see it happening, but wouldn't mind the technical foul if it's in a "rival" game (hurst or boro).

    Jim, totally agree with your pro league! Also, it should end up being a forfeit if the crowd doesn't rush the court after a home upset win. In a D1 game, that court would've been packed after the Women's upset of Cal. I miss the rushing of the court, understand the security reasons, but miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jim, thanks for that memory of Dukiet. I can so totally see him doing that.

    ReplyDelete