Other post-game thoughts:
- I was told that Gannon officials turned away some fans from the game, and the box score listed the attendance at 2,800. I guess today's fire code if much stricter than the Chapman days when fans would sit in the aisles and stand four-deep in the corners. I had several open seats around me, so I thought they could have crammed in a few hundred more folks.
- I felt bad for myself last year when Joe Jones torched Gannon at the Audi. I felt bad for him tonight as he was tortured all night by Pierre Howard and Cory Knight and forced into a 3-for-16 evening. I coached Joe (and Tyler Stoczynski and Knight) for a couple springs when he was a member of the Erie Red Storm AAU basketball team. Back then observers felt he didn't play up to his potential. After watching him the past couple of years, he's absolutely fulfilled his potential. I'm glad to see he matured and took advantage of his abilities.
- The win was the 300th of John Reilly's head coaching career. The over-under on how many text messages he will initiate saying, "I won my 300th game. Pat me on the back!" is 0.0001. I'll take the under.
- Going into the night, Gannon was 3rd in the Atlantic Region behind #1 Va. Union and #2 IUP; all 3 clubs began the night 17-3 in the region. Who's #1 after tonight? Your guess is as good as mine. Edinboro was #8, so the win helps Gannon's strength of schedule. IUP nipped now sub-.500 Cal, 60-58, so that hurts their strength of schedule. I would guess (though it's just a guess) that whoever wins Saturday's IUP/Gannon matchup will be #1 in the region.
- I saw Times sports writer Duane Rankin walk into the arena just a couple minutes before tipoff. He hasn't covered many Gannon games this year, so I thought to myself, "Why is he here?" I got my answer at halftime while purchasing a snack for my daughter. Standing to my right in the concession area was Erie BayHawk Eric Daniels. I can see the headline in tomorrow's paper: "Daniels Devours Hot Dogs, Tootsie Rolls" with a sidebar titled "Extra Mustard Is All-Star's Secret."