I'm going to break a cardinal rule of sports here and not take it one game at a time. Here are some thoughts and questions related to the home stretch for the Knights this season:
- Two questions about Mercyhurst: What happened and what's happening? The Lakers started the season 11-0, but are just 5-9 since. As far as what's going on right now, where have regular starters Elliot Engelmann (12.0 ppg) and Stu Anglum (4.2) plus reserve Ryann Bradford (2.6) been? They each have played in 22 games this year, but Engelmann and Bradford have missed the last two and Anglum the last three 'Hurst games.
- On the bright side, this is allowing more playing time for backup guard Niv Zinder. I don't know much about him except I love saying "Niv Zinder."
- What do you call it when Niv Zinder passes to a teammate then cuts to the basket and receives a pass back for a layup? A "Niv and Go."
- It's (nearly) a forgone conclusion that the Knights will make the NCAA tournament this year. If you want to check out some future foes in that event, ESPNU will air the CIAA semifinals (Feb. 27, 7 and 9 PM) and the finals (Feb. 28, 8PM). Seems like we should be rooting against Virginia Union. That would give GU a better chance of hosting regionals.
- According to the WVIAC web site, their tournament is scheduled for March 3-7. I'm not sure exactly how they run this event. The site only says "Charleston, WV (Civic Center)---final eight." I don't know if they play the 3rd, 5th, and 7th or if all 16 teams make the tournament and the final 8 is played the 5th-7th. I guess I'll find out in a couple weeks.
- I think Gannon is 5 wins away from earning the #1 seed in the Atlantic Region and the right to host the NCAA tournament. That's the optimist in me.
- The pessimist is asking, "Do you realize that if Gannon loses its next 4 games, the season will be over?"