The Division II national rankings are cute and all, but in reality they are utterly worthless. Rating high in the national poll makes for good conversation. Rating high (top 8) in the regional poll allows you to make the NCAA Tournament.
We'll regularly look at the top 8 teams in the Atlantic Region and break down their schedules/results. The rankings are released each Wednesday and include results from Division II games only through Sunday of that week.
1. Alderson-Broaddus (16-2): 2/2 W @ Davis & Elkins, 2/7 vs. Salem Int'l
2. Gannon (14-2): 2/4 W @ #7 Mercyhurst, 2/7 vs. Cal (Pa.)
3. Virginia Union (15-3): 2/5 vs. #6 Johnson C. Smith
4. Indiana, Pa. (14-2): 2/4 L @ Edinboro, 2/7 vs. Clarion
5. Kutztown (14-3): 2/4 W @ Cheyney, 2/7 vs. E.Stroudsburg
6. Johnson C. Smith (14-6): 2/3 W @ Va. State, 2/5 @ #3 Va. Union
7. Mercyhurst (14-4): 2/4 L vs. #2 Gannon, 2/7 @ Slippery Rock
8. Elizabeth City State (14-5): 2/3 W vs. Livingstone, 2/7 @ St. Paul's
A-B will stay #1 because there is no way they will lose at home to a 2-16 Salem International team. ... Head-to-head is very important in the regional rankings, so Gannon's win over Kutztown earlier this season was especially important. ... Edinboro's win this week over IUP could vault them into contention for an NCAA bid. But the Scots' OT loss to Mercyhurst still stings.