Monday, January 5, 2009

If you need cheering up ...

Still feeling down about Gannon's surprising loss Sunday? This link should make you feel better: http://home.roadrunner.com/~marjoriejoyce/.

It's the lyrics to "Let's Go, Gannon!", quite possibly the world's only song about a Division II basketball team. If you can name all 12 Knights and the coaching staff from the '86-'87 team before looking at the lyrics, I'll buy you a ticket to the Urbana men's basketball game of your choice.

The link is compliments of Marjorie (Radella) Metts, a Gannon alum and former editor-in-chief of the Gannon Knight student newspaper. One of the coolest things about the Knight office was a wall decorated with cloth napkins that staffers had "borrowed" from local restaurants. Each napkin was tacked to the wall and was identified with the restaurant name underneath. One wall-hanging stood out to me. It was a white hand towel with "RUNSKI" written in black magic marker. Apparently a Knight staffer swiped it from the Gannon bench after a game. Nice.

5 comments:

  1. It depends on which version of the lyrics you read. I believe that Shannonhouse or Hitt was left off in the first version and they ditched one of the coaches in the new version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure the original version left out Shannonhouse. I recall me asking my brother, "How could they leave him out? He's the guy who sent the Edinboro game into overtime."

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you remember, Jim, Runski's towel was actually *given* to me by a fellow Gannon student and then-suitor who was at the game that sent the Knights to the Final Four. If I remember correctly, Runski actually gave it to him. Now *that's* nice. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to hear that song played at the audi. The fans would go crazy.

    ReplyDelete