Friday, January 23, 2009

I missed Wednesday's game ...

... on a couple of levels. First, I wasn't there -- but I have a good excuse. I was 2,000 miles away at a week-long business conference in Aruba. (The concierge at the hotel gave me a strange look that evening when I asked if he had the Gannon-Slippery Rock score.)

I also missed being with my family and the Gannon families at the Audi that night. I traveled to Aruba by myself (my wife elected to stay home with our 3-year-old daughter Evelyn). If I would have been in Erie, I would have been sitting with them in the bleachers above the Gannon bench.

It made me think of all the families that frequent the Gannon games. Gary Eller and Darryl Ross work at the scorer's table but almost always bring their kids. Gary's parents attend every game, too. Brothers Paul and Dave DeSante are at every game with Paul's wife Hope. John Reilly's wife Donna sits behind the bench while their daughter Kirsten serves as the Golden Knight ballgirl.

NBA teams and Division I schools can have their corporate suites. I'll take the sweet smell of popcorn at the Hammermill Center on a cold Wednesday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment