Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Here come the critics

Less than one hour after Gannon lost at California tonight, 62-55, I received the following e-mail:

"I just listened to the Gannon game and I am upset. Does Reilly know how to coach. He has the talent but doesn't know how to use it. Corey should be playing more and there were times that there was no 3 point shooters in the game when we needed them most. Gannon needs a coach."

Funny how Reilly knew how to coach as recently as last year (26-5). Heck, he knew how to coach as recently as last weekend when GU went 2-0 on the road. The Knights shot 37% from the field vs. Cal. Seems like execution lost this game, not strategy. (At least as far as I can tell sitting at my computer in Erie tonight. It's difficult -- no, it's impossible -- to draw conclusions after only listening to a game on the radio. That's why when coaches scout they either go to the game or break down film. They don't break down audio.)

Also, I'm trying to figure out a Gannon lineup that would have "no three-point shooters in the game." The only one I could come up with was Preston Harris, Alphonso Scandrett, Mark Demski, Dave Wilson and ... um, that's only four players. Actually, I couldn't come up with one.

I respectfully disagree with the e-mailer, but I appreciate his interest in Gannon Hoops.

3 comments:

  1. I think much of the fan frustration is due to when Kyle Goldcamp will be back or if he's gone for good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am impressed with the fact that you knew that the score was going to be 62-55, given the post time of 7:38 p.m. :-)

    Tough loss ... They aren't the powerhouse team w/o Goldcamp. Hopefully he can get his health back in order. I think that the (justifiable) secrecy of the whole thing frustrates fans. Usually, injuries are ankles or shoulders with a definitive return time. The most important thing is that Kyle's health gets better for him to lead a normal life. And we're all hoping that he can suit up for the Knights soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you 100% about Goldcamp. Basketball pales in comparison to this fine young man's health.

    As far as the time stamp, this blog seems to think I'm in the Hawiian time zone ... which isn't a completely bad thing.

    ReplyDelete