But first an editorial comment. I understood when Gannon fans would complain that they didn't like the GLIAC because they missed the natural regional rivalries. Not everybody likes change and some segment of all humans are always longing for the good ol' days, even if some of those days weren't actually that good. I'm fine with that.
But I was always steamed when people said they didn't like the GLIAC because they didn't know enough about the league. When you don't know something you have two choices: sit on your thumb or go get the information you need. All the GLIAC information you could ever want was one click away (www.gliac.org/). Why did I know the difference between Saginaw Valley and Grand Valley? I looked at the GLIAC standings and statistics online. (Or you can just remember that Saginaw Valley always stunk and Grand Valley was always good.)
If you want to know more about Gannon basketball, the PSAC, the Atlantic Region, and Division II basketball, click away at the following list:
- Gannon men's basketball official website: www.gannonsports.com/index.aspx?tab=basketball2&path=mbball
- PSAC men's basketball: www.psacsports.org/sport.asp?path=mbball
- The WVIAC (West Virginia Intercollegiate Athletic Conference) is one of the three leagues that comprises the Atlantic Region: www.wviac.org/sport.asp?path=mbball
- The CIAA (Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association) is the other Atlantic Region league: www.theciaa.com/sports/mbkb/index
- This site provides links to every Division II school's men's basketball site: www.siue.edu/ATHLETIC/d2/mbb.html
- The Division II Men's Basketball Home Page links to national and regional rankings. Plus it lists schedules and results -- final scores of every DII game recently played and schedules for the upcoming days: campus.mst.edu/athleticsarchives/hoops/d2basketball/d2hoops.html
- D2Basketball.com repeats some of the info on the DII Men's Basketball Home Page, but every once in a while they have a couple new nuggets of information including off-season coaching changes: www.d2basketball.com/
- The NCAA basketball statistics site can be a fun read. For example, Carson-Newman is averaging 93.3 ppg, 4th best in DII basketball, but they're only 4-9 this season. They could learn a thing or two from the top defensive team in DII play allowing only 54.4 ppg, your Gannon Golden Knights: www.ncaa.org/stats/m_basketball/m_basketballMenu.html
I'd also recommend that you subscribe to the official Gannon e-newsletter. Just go to www.gannonsports.com/ and on the right side of the screen click on "The Official Golden Knights E-Newsletter." GU SID Dan Teliski does a great job promoting the teams, and subscribing to this e-newsletter spoon feeds his updates to you.
One more link. You'll want to watch this video clip only once: www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZSA4NJxBLE. Trust me.